Transform Our Tomorrow
July 16 – 21, 2020 • Washington DC Area
The Linton-Poodry SACNAS Leadership Institute (LPSLI) provides premier training for motivated underrepresented minority (URM) professionals interested in advancing their leadership of diversity, equity, and inclusion in all sectors of STEM (academia, industry, and non-profit, and government).
The five-day intensive training focuses on (1) cultivating influence in diversity, equity, and inclusion, (2) advocacy training to prepare participants and practice exerting influence with key stakeholders, and (3) building a strong and sustainable network of like-minded peers for continued collaboration and support. Throughout the five-day institute, participants will engage in conversations with prominent guest leaders, skills-training, small group exercises, networking, community building, and advocacy training including practicing influence with real stakeholders. Graduates will leave with experience advocating for diversity, equity, and inclusion, cutting-edge leadership skills, and a strong foundation to lead change at their home institution or company.
Program Fee: $2,500
The LPSLI program fee is an investment in your professional development as a leader of diversity, inclusion, and equity at your company/institution. We strongly encourage accepted applicants to request professional development funding from their employers to help off-set program costs. SACNAS will also provide limited support for applicants on an as-needed basis.
The program fee covers:
• Round-trip airfare to the Washington DC metro area
• Lodging for 5 nights
• Some meals
• Access to one-of-a-kind leadership training for URM professionals in STEM
• Deliver an unparalleled curriculum that focuses on specific challenges often facing underrepresented minority (URM) STEM leadership
• Provide participants with real life tools and experiences in exerting influence and advocating for diversity, equity, and inclusion in STEM
• Establish and support a rich network of leadership-minded URM scientists and STEM professionals
• Must be a current SACNISTA-level member at the time of application
• Must have a doctorate or terminal master's degree
• STEM fields preferred
• Open to all early career, and mid-career professionals in academia, industry, government, and nonprofits
Honoring our Founders
Back in 2009 SACNAS founding members Dr. Clifton Poodry (Seneca) and Dr. Marigold Linton (Cahuilla-Cupeño) saw a need: there was no program dedicated to training the next generation of STEM leaders of color. As our mentors and leaders retire, who will be ready to lead our nationwide mission to diversify STEM?
Both distinguished leaders at SACNAS, Poodry and Linton led the founding of the SACNAS Summer Leadership Institute, developed in partnership with the American Association for the Advancement of Science. The institute trains and equips 30 PhD-level scientists each year, cultivating the largest cohort of diverse STEM leaders in the country.
Today the institute bears the name of its founders: Linton-Poodry SACNAS Leadership Institute (LPSLI) → Read the full story here.