Lead. Serve. Inspire.
Board members provide guidance and vision for our organization through direct service, fundraising, and top-level leadership. As the largest multicultural and multidisciplinary STEM diversity organization in the country, SACNAS seeks candidates from all STEM sectors to consider a self-nomination for the National Board of Directors. Bring your unique skills, expertise, and experiences to help lead our community and further our vision to achieve True Diversity in STEM.
In addition to the personal satisfaction of giving back to an organization that fosters the success of the next generation of diverse STEM talent, serving on the board comes with professional opportunities and unique experiences that will enrich your career and life. It’s also a valuable opportunity to deepen your leadership skills and governance experience.
President-Elect (January 2022-December 2025: 2022: President-Elect, 2023-2024: President, 2025: Past-President)
General Board: (January 2022 – December 2024)
Graduate Student Board: (January 2022 – December 2024 — two to three year term dependent upon completion of doctoral degree)
How to Submit Your Nomination
1. Candidate must be a SACNAS member. Become a Member / Renew Membership Here.
2. Read Candidate Criteria and Board Member Responsibilities and Expectations (PDF) and SACNAS Code of Ethics.
3. Submit a completed nomination application, which includes uploading a CV/resume and professional headshot.
4. Submit a 5-minute or less video about why you want to run for the SACNAS Board of Directors. (Click here for guidelines and upload instructions)
5. Nominations deadline is Monday, August 2, 2021 at 11:59pm PT. All materials must be in by this date. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
To nominate someone else other than yourself, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the name and contact information of the person you would like to nominate so that SACNAS can invite them to submit their nomination materials.
Nominations deadline is August 2, 2021 at 11:59pm PT
SACNAS seeks candidates who are:
– Leaders or executives in all three sectors (academia, government/nonprofit, & private industry)
– Experienced in fund development, governance, business practices, and finances/budget
– Read and agree to Candidate Criteria and Board Member Responsibilities and Expectations (PDF)
– Read and agree to SACNAS Code of Ethics
Per SACNAS bylaws, all dues-paying members are eligible to vote. Professional and postdoc members can vote for general board members. Undergraduate and graduate student members can vote for graduate student board members.
Elections results are published on the SACNAS website and announced to the membership via email.
May 7, 2021:
Board candidate applications open
August 2, 2021:
Board candidate applications deadline
Candidates reviewed & selected by Nominations Subcommittee
October 18 – November 19, 2021:
Elections results announced to membership
New Board Member Onboarding Session
It is the policy of SACNAS not to discriminate against any individual or group for reasons of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, age, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical or mental or sensory disability, genetic information, military status or any other consideration protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. SACNAS is committed to providing equal opportunities in all activities including application for board service.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Diversity and inclusion are more than just words to SACNAS. They are integral parts of our history, culture, and identity. They are the principles that founded our organization, guide our strategic path forward, and help us fulfill our mission. We continually seek to build and maintain a Board of Directors that reflects the rich diversity of our organization and country. We look for and celebrate diverse voices, experiences, backgrounds, and talents to help us approach our work fearlessly, spark creativity, drive innovation, improve constantly, and celebrate our successes. Simply put, everyone is welcome at SACNAS. We believe that an inclusive organization is one where our employees, volunteers, and board members feel empowered to be their full, authentic selves.