Each year hundreds of members support our student community by participating in various reviewing and mentoring opportunities. Giving back time and feedback to our community empowers the future generation of STEM and helps uplift the SACNAS mission of fostering success for our members.
Here are just a few of the ways you can give back your time and energy to SACNAS:
Before the Conference
Review Student Applications
Applications reviewers are professionals with a bachelor’s degree or higher who volunteer to review 2021 SACNAS student applications online PRIOR to the conference.
Note: This is a pre-conference opportunity in the Spring and Summer. Volunteers are not eligible for discounted or waived conference registration. Students are not eligible to participate as reviewers.
As a research presentation application reviewer you will receive:
- Approximately 15 abstracts in your discipline to review
- Guidelines to score assigned abstracts
Each abstract takes approximately 20 minutes to review. Total time = Approximately 5 hours between July 21 to August 6.
As a travel scholarship application reviewer you will receive:
- Approximately 20 scholarship applications to review
- Guidelines to score assigned applications
- Each application takes approximately 20 minutes to review. Total time = Approximately 6 hours between July 21 to August 6.
During the Conference
For many students getting direct mentorship can make all the difference in validating and motivating them to persist in their STEM journey. By serving as a mentor judge, volunteers provide constructive feedback and motivation to student research presenters, including many first-time presenters and first-generation college students.
In addition to giving back to student SACNISTAs, this is a great opportunity to get exposed to new research in your field, as well as networking and recruiting talented students.
Time commitment: Approximately 2 hours
Taking advantage of the virtual setting, you will have the flexibility to work with your assigned student(s) to select a presentation time that works with both of your schedules. Presentation times should be scheduled before or during the conference (October 18 to 27, 2021). Mentors will need to submit their scores no later than October 27, 2021 at 11:59pm PT.
- Motivated to provide positive and constructive feedback to student presenters
- Must be a STEM professional with a Master’s degree or PhD
- Currently in a Master’s or PhD program? You will be assigned to undergraduate poster presentations
- Previous experience in judging/mentoring similar events preferred but not required!
- Must be a registered attendee for the 2021 SACNAS conference
REMINDER: Mentor judges are not eligible for discounted or waived registration.
Deadline to sign-up: September 20, 2021
Requesting funding from your institution? Let them know you’ll be serving as a mentor!
Conference Quick Links
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-SACNAS-1