SACNAS professional programs are designed to support professionals, including postdocs, to strengthen their competencies and reach their career goals. Programs are specifically designed with both professional development and community-building aspects in mind. These well-rounded programs equip and empower professionals to thrive in their careers and continue their STEM journey with tangible skills, a network of support, and an empowered sense of self.
Upcoming Opportunities for Postdocs and Professionals in 2020
Linton-Poodry SACNAS Leadership Institute
The Linton-Poodry SACNAS Leadership Institute (LPSLI) provides premier training for motivated underrepresented minority (URM) professionals interested in advancing their leadership of diversity, equity, and inclusion in all sectors of STEM (academia, industry, and non-profit, and government).
FEED Your Career: Fostering Empowering Environments for Dynamic Careers in Engineering
Developing Skills for Grant Writing and Peer Review
Location: Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
This three-day workshop offers professional training, mentoring, and cultural activities for engineers interested in advancing their career as an engineering faculty member.
Over the course of the workshop, accepted applicants will:
• Create knowledge of current issues and challenges in increasing diversity in academia
• Learn essential tools, tactics, and strategies to confront resistance to change and foster successful careers in engineering
• Empower self and others with skills for pursuing academic teaching and/or research careers in engineering
• Access networking, mentoring, and community-building opportunities with participants from all over the country
Sample sessions include The Changing Landscape of Engineering, Lessons-learned in Creating Unique Opportunities of Embracing Culture and Tradition while Serving Students, Diversity and Inclusion: Facts, Statistics and What Really Works, and others.
To apply, applicants must:
• Be a current early-career faculty, postdoctoral fellow, or advanced graduate student in engineering
• Be interested in pursuing a career as an engineering faculty member
• Be a SACNAS member – Accepted applicants will receive travel (airfare) to and from the workshop location, and lodging for 2 nights.
Location: Washington DC area
Three day workshop for postdocs and early career STEM professionals in biology or STEM education.
The Developing Skills for Grant Writing and Peer Review Workshop will equip early career STEM professionals, in either biology or STEM education, to write a successful grant proposal for NSF funding. Accepted applicants will learn how to critique proposal drafts in order to develop their own drafts and engage in peer review.
To apply, applicants must:
• Be an advanced graduate student, current postdoc or early career professional in biology or STEM education
• Bring idea for grant proposal for either the BIO or EHR directorates at NSF
• Submit current resume/CV
Accepted applicants will receive airfare to and from the DC area, and lodging for 2 nights.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-SACNAS-1